Signs of Demonic Possession
_ Demon possession happens more frequently than the average person believes. In many cases the person is thought to be mentally ill and is sent to a doctor or an institution. I have found in numerous cases I have worked on the person has been diagnosed as been mentally ill after the exorism they show no signs of the mental illness. There are cases where the person is mentally ill and an exorism would harm their already fragile mental state, therefore look at the list below to see if any of these signs or symptoms can be attributed to the person. Please note possession is not always by demonic forces spirits and entities can also possess a person.
Mental Changes Affecting The Person
1. Look for changes in personality. This is usually seen when the person is affable and suddenly becomes extremely quiet.
2. Someone who is normally very active suddenly becomes isolative. They shy away from people, they avoid any human contact.
3. Look for changes in sleep patterns. Nightmares and night terrors are also an indication. Also ask them if anything unsual has happened during the night. Many people will talk about seeing a dark shadow over the bed that tries to hold them down, they will be unable to move, scream or stop what is happening. Some cannot breathe and feel like they are been strangled.
4. Look for sudden weight loss or gain.
5. Look for changes in attitude and behavior, usually becoming hostile. The person will be very easy angered and will fly into a rage at the drop of a hat.
6. Someone who begins cursing a lot when that is out of character for them.
7. Notice if they suddenly have an aversion to religious objects. They may be a person who normally goes to Church but suddenly despises the thought.
8. Look for evidence of self- mutilation.
9. Look for changes in the way the person dresses.
10. Observe their personal hygiene and look for changes. The person will usually stop washing their bodies, brushing their teeth and hair.
11. Look for evidence of occult materials in the room.
12. Look for destructiveness on the part of a person, especially if that destruction is of religious objects.
13.They may become abusive and threatening for no reason.
14.They may become violent. They often attempt to hurt animals.
15. The person may experience severe nightmares or night terrors.
16. They may perform acts of humiliation, such as urinating on themselves, etc.
17. They may be sexually pre-occupied. Excessive masturbation or doing it in front of others.
18. Take note of what appears to be a different personality or multiple personalities.
19. Look for unusual changes in diet. Foods that were once favorites may now be repulsive to the person. They may eat foods that they once detested.
20. Take note if they seem to have blackouts in their memory.
The above items can well be psychiatric or psychological changes; therefore, you must be wary when you look at these as signs of possession. All of the above can be cries for help or signal the beginning of drug use or mental illness. When these are the only things present, seek psychological counseling first, before even giving thought to the
possibility of demonic possession. Many of these changes are normal, especially when dealing with teenagers. Do not automatically think of possession unless you have some reason to believe they are vulnerable to possession. For example, if they have been performing rituals or dabbling in the occult and then you start noticing personality changes. However, the likelihood is that it is a natural problem, natural being
psychiatric or psychological. As you will see, there are many other indications of possession. Look for some of those before you give credence to the idea of possession. In addition, never mention to someone undergoing personality changes that they might be possessed. You can plant a dangerous seed by doing that.
Physical Changes Affecting The Person
1. The person involved may go for long periods of time without blinking their eyes. (Can indicate a neurological condition)
2. The person may appear catatonic. (Can also be a sign of mental illness)
3. The person speaks a language they could not possibly know. (Or speak English with unusual accents.)
4. The person speaks in tongues.
5. The person will become completely rigid where they cannot be moved at all, even by multiple people.
6. Look for changes in the eyes. They may turn almost black like shark eyes. The eyes are so bizarre looking that you feel like you are looking into the eyes of a demon.
7. Look for obvious changes in their features. The often lose weight and their faces look gaunt and strained. It is almost as if you can see another persons face overlaying the person you are looking at.
8. The person may possess inhuman strength.
9. The person may exhibit “precognition,” the ability to predict the future. If they were not psychic before this is a define sign.
10. The person displays “retro cognition,” the ability to know about past events they should not know about.
11. The person may be able to know something about a person they have not met.
12. Their voice may change. It may go from high to low to guttural. They will sound almost inhuman and the sound will cause shivers up your spine.
13. They may be able to tell what you are thinking.
14. They may move in some unusual way. For example, they may seem to glide instead of walk.
15. Writing or symbols may appear on the body in the form of welts and scratches. Look especially in areas they could not reach. (these could also be a sign that an entity is attacking them, I have woken up with scratch marks on my back where I could not reach, and have had scratches appear while other people where watching when binding a demon.
16. They may levitate.
17. Hair or eye color may change.
18.There may be multiple voices coming from the person at the same time.
19. Take note if animals appear to be frightened of the person, especially if they begin acting fearful when there are personality changes in the person. Animals are a wonderful tool for becoming aware of the supernatural, they will warn you when there are entities around you or when a possession is taking place.
20.Note where the person has started taking drugs or drinking excessively.
A couple of these symptoms can be related to medical or psychological conditions but most of them fall outside the realm of science. If you start to see a few items in this category, there is serious cause for concern. I have often found that client that are been treated for bi-polar and schizophrenia have been possessed. At this point, you start to take items from the first category and see if they are consistent with items from things in this second category, or the third one I am about to detail. Obviously, some are more telling than others. You have to give weight to the values when you try to make a determination. The Holy Spirit should be called on for guidance and discernment, especially where there are only vague manifestations.
1. Objects move around seemingly by themselves.
2. Objects may disappear and not be found again. (Asporting)
3. Objects may disappear and be found in another location. (Teleporting)
4. Objects may disappear and later be found where they originally were.
5. Objects may come from nowhere. (Apports)
6. Knocking, banging or pounding may be heard throughout the house or in just one room.
7. Objects fly around as if they were thrown from unseen hands.
8. There may be knocks at the door but no one is ever there. These are often heard in threes, as this is a way of mocking the Holy Trinity. Ditto for doorbells.
9. Religious articles disappear or are destroyed. They may also be desecrated.
10. Growling may be heard but the source cannot be located.
11. There may be scratching sounds heard without an obvious source.
12. There may be foul odors that have no verifiable source. They may come and go.
13. Odd lights may be seen. They may shoot around a room.
14. Heavy furniture may move on its own.
15. There may be sightings of people or dark shadows that may or may not have form.
16. Odd-looking creatures may be seen.
17. Doors and drawers may open and close on their own.
18. Electrical appliances may turn on or off.
19. Spontaneous fires may start up.
20. Animals may become spooked and stay away from the targeted person altogether.
21. Animals may growl at something they see but you do not.
22. Any talk of God or religion may cause an outbreak of activity.
23. Glass may break for no reason.
24. Sounds of glass breaking may be heard but there is no evidence of it happening.
25. There may be sudden temperature changes, up and down although it is usually down. These can be recorder on a thermometer. It feels like a freezer door has been opened and you get chills.
26. A person may suddenly become cold while the temperature remains constant. A thermometer may record a one to two degree drop in that person.
27.People may have a feeling of being watched or that they are not alone.
28.People may hear voices when no one is present.
29.People will often hear their name called only to find that no one is around. Sometimes, a couple will each think they heard the other call to them.
30.There may be a sensation of wind blowing even with the windows closed.
31. Lights will go off or not come on when turned on.
32. Apparent retaliation after some attempt to stop the activity.
33. Activity starts up when you attempt to say prayers.
34. Apparent retaliation if a clergyman has been to the home.
35. Physical attacks. It might be in the form of punching, scratching, biting, hair pulling, etc.
36. Psychological attacks. The devil knows your weaknesses and will try to exploit them. Someone who feels ashamed about something will have an increase in that emotion. The same is true for depression, anxiety and anything else you can think of.
37.Sexual assaults. This can run the gamut from fondling to actual penetration. This can occur in males as well as females.
38.Levitation of objects or people.
A fair number of the items listed in the above category could be the result of a human spirit. This is why you have to look at all three columns together to get a fair sampling. If any of the above takes place and stop when commanded to in the name of God, or if holy water stops the activity, that is a good sign of a serious problem. However, judging
one or two items by itself is not a large enough sample to conclusively prove the influence of something diabolical.
During an exorcism, anything or nothing can happen. There is no set standard. In some cases, all hell seems to break loose; in others, not a peep is heard. Sometimes the smell of roses permeates the location, a positive sign that the entity has been expelled. However, it can take some time before you are sure an exorcism has worked. Sometimes the Ritual forces them into a state of dormancy. However, at a later date,
the problem may arise again. In many cases, multiple exorcisms may have to take place. The devil can be a persistent force and it will hold on for as long as it can. It sometimes comes down to attrition. The person who performs the exorcism must know the risks. There is likely to be retaliation so that person must stay in God’s light at all
times. There is no sense of time on the other side so even though an exorcism was performed ten years ago, there is still the risk of retaliation. There is always the risk of retaliation.